Since most days are the same on cruise ships, here is the schedule for a typical passenger on a typical day on the Zuiderdam:
- Up at 8:oo am, check out the weather, get dressed (smart casual) and take the elevator down seven floors (decks) for breakfast.
- 9:00am. Breakfast. Open seating. Made to order: eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, pancakes, waffles, French toast, omelets of all types. As much as you want, all you can eat.
- 10:00 am. Back to the room. With a breakfast like that, it is time for a short nap.
- 10:30 am. Dress for the pool. Out on the deck for spectacular views of the sparkling ocean under cloudless skies and bikini viewing of the 1% of the women who are under 60.
- 10:45 am. Morning break with coffee and fresh pastries, served by smiling Pilipino young men in uniforms.
- 11:00 am. First major exercise of the day: massage and aroma therapy in the spa. Briefly observe mostly empty fitness room as you enter .
- 11:50 am. Return to room to dress for lunch. Smart casual.
- 12:00 pm. lunch. Open seating. Appetizers, salad, choice of a half dozen entrée’s , numerous deserts—a feast that would serve as the main meal of the day anywhere except on a cruise ship.
- 1:00 pm. Back to the room for a short nap to recover from lunch.
- 2:00 pm. Dress for the pool. Second major exercise of the day: sitting in the hot tub .
- 2:30 pm. Afternoon ice cream break.
- 3:00 pm. Educational seminar (one of 65 activities and affinity group options offered for the day) Topic: “Good Nutrition and Healthy Living.” (Tomorrow: “Acupuncture for Aging” followed by “Wrinkle Remedies.”)
- 4:00 pm. English high tea. More pastries, little sandwiches, chocolates.
- 5:00 pm. Third major exercise: sauna.
- 6:00 pm. Back to the state room to dress for dinner. Formal attire.
- 6:30 pm. Cocktails and heavy horsd’oeuvers before dinner at one of the ship’s dozen bars and lounges.
- 7:30 pm. Dinner. Assigned seating. Same waiter and same table every night. Biggest meal of the day with appetizer, salad, choice of a dozen entrees and countless deserts. Exceptional food. Vintage wine. Excellent service.
- 9:00 pm. Evening entertainment in the theater—magic show, juggler, Broadway tunes.
- 10:15 pm. Piano bar and lounge for sing alongs and Karaoke. After dinner drinks and late night snacks.
- 11:00 pm. Bed time.
Another great day on the High Seas! Only nine hours until breakfast!