For those who have been wondering why I have not written a single Trump report over the past three weeks, the answer is that I have been ill, suffering from an extreme case of Trumpititus. You may be aware of the symptoms and in fact may be suffering yourself: anxiety, depression, fear and hopelessness plus a physical meltdown leaving you incapacitated. If you are not sure whether you have contracted this dread disease, I have one question for you, which if you answer “yes” means you have caught it and soon will suffer dire symptoms of despair and debilitation if these have not already appeared. The question is this: In the middle of the night when you wake up in a cold sweat and can’t go back to sleep, do you eagerly grab your smart phone and touch the news icon to see what horrible things Trump has said or done or tweeted over the evening and early morning hours? If so, you are in deep trouble, and I strongly recommend you seek advanced medical help immediately.
However, if you are short on cash or are a beneficiary of the ACA and face losing your insurance, I will provide some advice that I have received from the myriad doctors who have examined me and prescribed relief:
- Do not under any circumstances read fake news from failing organizations and Enemies of the People like the Washington Post, New York Times or CNN.
- Do not listen to the radio or watch any television except sports and then only if your team wins; but since you do not know ahead of time if your team is going to win, you can’t watch sports unless you tape it.
- Throw away your smart phone.
- Do not turn on your computer; but if you have to, never read your email or God forbid, Facebook or Twitter.
- If you must read, restrict it to romance novels.
- Take no phone calls.
- Try to sleep as much as your cat.
- Keep your blinds shut.
- Keep the door locked at all times.
- Drink plenty of liquids, preferably those with high alcoholic content.
Unfortunately I have been unable to follow their advice except for item number 10, in which I excel.
That is why it has taken me so long to recover.
But I am happy to report that I am now on the mend and fully expect to continue my reporting shortly. In the meantime, I will say this: This is shaping up to be all that we feared and worse. You know all the reasons: Bannon and the politics of darkness, the chaos and confusion in the White House, the inconsistent messages to our allies, the war on the press and freedom of speech, the Russian connections, the ad homenim attacks on innocent people, the strange assortment of advisors, the likely end of health care as we know it, and now the very real prospect of massive deportations. The list is very long and very scary—in fact so scary that if I continue any longer I will have to retreat to my bed for recovery or perhaps, more truthfully, to pursue doctor recommendation number 10 in earnest.